Saturday, March 17, 2007

Another move

This is the 5th apartment I have had since moving to montreal and I'm just finishing my 3rd year. 7 roommates, 5 apartments from NDG to Hochelaga and through most of those moves, I've carted two cats with me.

It's time to do it again.

Now that I'm living on my own, I'm face to face with a whole lot of things a 22 year old shouldn't be left alone with. When I had 2 consecutive knee surgeries 3 years ago, I had a good 6 months to work through my mind and it wasn't all fun and games. But in retrospect, it was pretty refreshing. Usually at 19 people just start running - I came to a full stop and I think it's the perfect time to do so. Just hitting independence and fate tells you to shut up and put it all into perspective.

But at 22? It's feeling a bit like overkill. I need to run, I need to fly around, I want to be completely free and sitting around my apartment surrounded by utter chaos is just not working. I can watch another movie, call another friend, cry about past loves, argue with my dirty dishes, stare at the sunset and then when I'm sick of that, go get annihilated at a bar.

And maybe living with someone wouldn't be all that different. Wouldn't we just be doing all the same things together? We watch movies, call people, cry to each other, argue with each other about dishes and when we got sick of all that, we would probably go get annihilated at a bar.

Perhaps that is exactly what I'm missing. A compadre, a partner in crime. Someone that will be around when I wake up hungover and we can giggle about the debauchery together. Someone that will be around to kick my ass when I have another ideological struggle with my dishes. Someone to make sure that I'm fed, watered and not too introspective. And someone that I can return all the favors to.

No comments: