Saturday, February 18, 2006

What's on CBC?

Apparently the Olympics are going on right now in Italy. Neat. I haven't read a single Olympic headline, nor have I watched CBC since Torino came flying onto the map. And I don't feel bad.

In the past I have watched the elimination rounds because they are more exciting than the finals. You get to see the "losers" of the Olympics fly in, warm up and bomb their way right back onto a plane back to their homeland. In the finals everyone seems to be at roughly the same level and everything comes down to a millisecond or a millimetre because their bodies have been trained for so long that they all look like clones of each other. Its freaky. All the speed skaters look the same, all the ski jumpers look the same and the curlers, well... whatever. They are a little different from the rest of the games. They are the geeks of the games while the boarders are the cool kids at the back of the class who always smell like pot.

I also used to watch the medal ceremonies, regardless of what sport it was for or for what country the winners were from. I also used to cry excessively at them. I remember sobbing at the Australian games when some Swede won gold for some damn feat of strength or speed. The national anthem started playing and goddamnit she looked so proud. Between sniffles I nearly started singing along with the anthem. Those medal ceremonies will never cease to bring me to a whole new low.

So this year, I'm staying away. Far far away from CBC. I see no need this year to feel like a Swede for 10 seconds nor do I feel the need to sit like a potato on my couch watching the most fit people in the whole fucking world flex their muscles. I would rather compulsively play Sudoku puzzles until my brain hurts.

No comments: